Friday, March 13, 2009

Akeija

Akeija was the first dog I owned. She was a golden retriever collie cross. A beautiful furbaby. When I first got her, I decided to take a year off work to train her for hand and vocal commands.
She was so smart and beautiful. She liked all other animals and once introduced herself to a skunk. Ugh. No Akeija that was not a cat with a bad attitude. Another time she introduced herself to a porcupine. She only got 2 quills on the side of her face. She was not animal aggressive. When my husband and I got together, it was love me, love my dog. Now this was a man who wore suits everyday and never had a fur throwing machine in the house before.
One time my husband was agitating me and I told him if he kept it up, Akeija would eat him. He just laughed and cuddled Akeija and said this lover would not bite him. I gave her a silent command and Cujo appeared. She backed him into a corner snarling and snapping. He damn near crapped himself. Akeija aged and she started to slow down over the years, but she loved me and protected me. She was also trained to open doors. One time when I was working I got robbed. Akeija, who was about 14 at the time came flying through the door and went into attack mode. I gave her a command to stay. I beat the living crap out of the guy. The cops laughed when they arrested him. Considering I was only 8 months out of having a stroke, I won that round. Really wanted to rip this guys throat out, but did not let Akeija go after him. If they guy would have knocked me down, she would have bitten and contained him.

At 16, it was time to let my baby go. Her hips were failing and she was in pain. I did not have the strength to put her down so I left the country and my husband took her to the vet to release her to Rainbow Bridge. I keep her ashes with me and when my time comes, she will go with me.

I still miss her. Akeija 2002




No comments:

Post a Comment