Sunday, March 22, 2009

Shayker

Shayker was a small Lhasa terrier mix that my husband bought for me. The first time I saw her she shook so bad, that I called her Shayker. It stuck. When I brought her home she weighed less than 800 grams.

She was a funny puppy. The first night I had her she slept in our living room in a crate. All was well the first night. The next night, wow, who knew a small baby like that could make such a racket? Anyway kicked hubby out of bed, and let her sleep with me. I got her in April 2001, just after my husband had lost his job. I sure loved her. Akeija, had a minor stroke in April and then I had one 6 weeks later. I lost my short term memory and my speech for 8 months. That sucked. The only one that understood me was Shayker. Shayker loved me and barely tolerated my husband. Every time he would come near me she would growl. On January 2, 2002, I brought Shayker to the vet for a check up. I thought she was too thin and she was a fussy eater. While at the vets she peed on the floor. The vet was concerned that is was too dilute so he ran a bunch of tests. It was then we found out Shayker was in Chronic Renal Failure. She was dying from the day she was born. I was hysterical and my speech shut down again. The vet only gave her a few weeks to live. I brought her home and started her on Peditite and a special diet. I cried so much, my doctor was concerned that I would either have another stroke or a heart attack. Shayker lived for almost 4 months, then the succumbed to this terrible disease. Out of all my losses in my life, she rates up there as #1. I miss her so much and I think of her everyday. She is buried in a pet cemetery with Dallas and I go visit them quit often there. I still cry when I go. To me she was the child I never had..

Shayker was the product of a backyard breeder in Markstay. I called the lady and told her about Shayker. I was not polite with her and honest to god, if she would have been standing in front of me, I would have kicked the life out of her.

Shayker died at the age of 14 months. 6 weeks after Akeija.

Shayker

Shayker

Shayker

Charlie thinking Shayker is a chipmunk

Shayker and Charlie

Shayker, Dallas and Akeija

Shayker, Akeija and Dallas


Shayker with a small kong

Shayker

Shayker

No comments:

Post a Comment